Thursday, September 2, 2010

Playing with Goo

While looking through my BabyCenter Preschooler email that I get, I found the recipe for Goo.  I decided that I would make it so Amelia could play with it as a fun activity.  It was quite simple to make and not very expensive.  I bought a 4oz bottle of Elmer's glue for 25 cents at Wal-Mart (now would be a good time to stock up because of the school sales.  I made two batches of Goo and it seemed to use a lot of my 4oz container of glue)  The Borax laundry detergent came in a large box for about $3.00.  If I only use it for Goo, I will NEVER run out of it! 



Here's the recipe:

1. Mix together 2 tablespoons of white glue and 2 tablespoons of water in a paper cup.
(I used a small plastic cups that I had on hand from a party) 

2. In another paper cup (again I used a plastic cup), mix together ten drops of blue food coloring
(I used pink for Amelia's batch and blue for mine.  I personally think 10 drops of food coloring turned out to be quite a lot so next time I will use less), 1/4 cup of water, and 3/4 teaspoon of borax laundry detergent.

3. Add 2 tablespoons of the borax mixture to the glue mixture and stir well.
(I used a plastic spoon so I could throw it away afterwards) 

4.Store it in an airtight container when you're done playing with it.
(I put it in a Ziploc baggie)


Below is a picture of Amelia playing with the Goo and posing a big "Cheeeeese" smile for me.
I made her a blue bracelet and a pink bracelet.

While playing with the Goo, I couldn't help but ask Amelia some questions to see what she knew (I guess that's just the teacher still in me).

1. I pointed to blue Goo blob and asked Amelia what color it was.  She responded, "Blue."
2. I pointed to the pink Goo blob and asked her what color it was.  She responded, "Pink" with enthusiasm.
3. I touched my Goo blob and asked her if it was cold or hot.  She touched her Goo blob and said, "Cold, brrr."
4. I touched my Goo blob and asked her if it was prickly or squishy.  She touched her Goo blob and said, "Squishy" while poking/squeezing the Goo.

I did not mention any of the above answers with her before asking the questions.  She was using her own knowledge and past experiences to answer my questions.  It is amazing how much a 2 year old can know, and even more amazing that some adults don't know/believe that their child is capable of possessing that knowledge.  I know Amelia is my daughter and I am probably biased but I truly do think that she is a very smart little girl!  And with such a big cheesy smile like that, how could you think otherwise.

2 comments:

  1. I used to make that in the afterschool programs I taught in. I think we called it something else (gak), but it was very fun. Do you have some extra borax you can bring down in a ziploc or gladware container so I can make it for Charlie?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew there was another name for it but I couldn't think of it. I have plenty of Borax! I will bring some and maybe after the party is over, Amelia and Charlie can make some together and play with it.
    When taking off her two bracelets, they got stuck together so now we have one large purple blob of Goo.

    ReplyDelete