Thursday, February 17, 2011

Rhetoric has Arrived!

After checking in at the hospital on Wednesday February 16th at 1pm, I was taken to one of the delivery rooms.  Around 1:30pm my nurse tried to get my IV going and she burst my vein twice. She then got another nurse to come and do it instead. Luckily this other nurse got it on the first try.  It was now about 2pm and the pitocin was started.  The nurse checked to see how dilated I was (at my appt the day before I was 3cm and 75% effaced.  The nurse said I was a 3-4cm.  My doctor then showed up and broke my water a few minutes later.  Just a little while later I had the anesthesiologist come to give me an epidural.  After it kicked in, I noticed my right leg was complete dead weight and my left side had a numb feeling but I could kick that leg up in the air.  As I was having contractions, I could feel some pain and pressure (with Amelia's epidural, I was completely numb and on top of the world).  They switched my medicine a few times to see if it would help numb me.  I was numb and tingly up to my shoulders but could still feel the contractions, not what I wanted.  When the nurse checked me at 4pm, I was dilated to 6cm.  At 4:30pm she checked me again and I was still 6cm...disappointing.  At 5pm I told the nurse I was feeling much more pressure and had an urge to push.  She checked me and I was at 10cm....yay!  I gained 4cm in 30 minutes.  That made up for the slower beginning.  They called my doctor and once they were all ready, they had me start pushing, at 5:15pm.  They told me I was having contractions but now I couldn't feel them...thank goodness, the epidural finally kicked in when I needed it to most.  After eight minutes of pushing my son entered this world!

Rhetoric Jefferson Ray
Born Wednesday February 16, 2011, 5:23pm
Induced 2 weeks early (my choice)
7lbs 14oz      
20"

No comments:

Post a Comment