Monday, August 23, 2010

Amelia's 1st Diamondbacks Game

 I always enjoy going to sporting events!  When I was younger and lived in San Diego, my grandparents would take us to the Padres games.  I remember the fun times, cracking open peanut shells, and searching for the prize in the Cracker Jacks box.  I want Amelia to have fond memories of sporting events too. 

The last Diamondbacks game Clint and I went to was in June 2008, when I was around 8+ months pregnant.  I was large and in charge.  We had cheap seats, way up in the top where the stairs are quite steep.  Probably not a great idea for a large pregnant women. 

On Thursday night, our wonderful neighbors, Matt & Holly, text me to see if our family wanted to go to the Diamondbacks game Friday night; they had two extra tickets.  I wanted to say yes right away but I had to make sure Clint's schedule would work out.  We were going to be able to go...yay! 

Our family got into Chase Field right when they started singing the National Anthem.  I bought a drink and hot dog while Clint took Amelia to the Guest Relations Center.  I read that children can get wristbands with their parents' section and seat number, in case they get lost.  I wasn't planning on losing Amelia but I thought better safe than sorry.  She also got a cool pin for her shirt that said, "My 1st Diamondbacks Game" with Baxter the Bobcat.  Also, a Baxter the Bobcat trading card. 

We got to our seats; section 131, row 25, seats 15 and 16.  We were right down the 3rd baseline.  I haven't had nice seats like these in a long time.  It was nice to sit in the lower level.  Clint really wanted to catch a foul ball.  There were plenty of foul balls but they all seemed to go to the left or right of us twenty feet.  Oh well!

The game was fun to watch except that we weren't winning until the 9th inning.  We were down like 3-0 and we ended up getting 3 guys in, to tie up the game.  They went to the 10th inning.  Colorado didn't score.  One of our guys came to bat in the bottom of the 10th, and with the first pitch, he hit the ball nice an deep to center field, which allowed a runner to score.  Victory for the Diamondbacks!

Amelia loved cheering during the game.  Whenever people started clapping, she joined in enthusiastically.  She loved the different chants that are said at baseball games.  She really liked jumping/dancing on the seat.  Anytime cheering would stop, she would say, "More again."  Her way of saying she wants to do it more, or again.

We got to watch spectacular fireworks after the game too.  Amelia actually watched them this time (read post about 4th of July).  Every time she saw a pink firework, she said, "Pink one."  If you ask her about the fireworks though, she will cover her right eye and say, "Scary."


Amelia was actually trying to smile in this picture but it looks kind of scary, like she's mad or something.

Wiggle worm Amelia in the 9th inning...around 10pm.

Diamondbacks player hitting

Mommy and Amelia standing right at the fence along the 3rd baseline after the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment