Monday, August 23, 2010

Amelia's New Ritual

Amelia started doing something new in the last week or so.  Whenever I put her down for a nap or at bedtime, I read her stories, sing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, ask Amelia for a big hug and kiss, say I Love You, turn the lights off, and close the door.  I usually go in and check on her 30 minutes after I don't hear anymore noises.  I put her blanket on and turn the fan off at night.  Every single time I have gone in there this last week or so, I open the door, she is sound asleep, BUT HER OVERHEAD LIGHT IS ON!  I have added another step to the bedtime ritual: after closing the door to leave, I hang out in the hallway.  Today within ten seconds of me closing the door and saying goodbye, Amelia got out of bed and turned the lights on.  I waited fifteen seconds to make sure she got back in bed.  I opened the door, turned the light off, and told her to leave the lights off.  She laid there saying, "Light on, light on," but didn't get back up to turn it on.  I do not understand why she is doing this!  I have a ladybug nightlight in her room near her bed so it's not pitch black or anything.  It's usually the bright overhead light that she turns on, but sometimes that light along with the desk light.  I've noticed when I've come in to check on her, she will have her blankie or hands covering her face...I'm guessing because she couldn't fall asleep WITH THE STINKIN' LIGHTS ON!  I love my daughter tremendously but sometimes I wonder why the heck she does certain things, especially when they don't make sense to me.  I guess somehow in her mind it must make sense. 

This new ritual was just great after the Diamondbacks game on Friday night.  We stayed for the whole game...they tied it up in the 9th inning and had to play an extra inning.  After the game there were fireworks.  We stayed for those and didn't end up getting home until about 11pm or so.  We all took a shower because we were hot and sticky.  Amelia went to bed around 11:30pm that night...waaaay past her normal bedtime.  I figured she would sleep in decently late (she normally gets around 12 hours of sleep, from 8:30pm-8:30am).  Well that unfortunately didn't happen.  I hadn't known about her turning the light on really well yet, and usually I can hear the click off the light switch on her monitor.  At about 8:15am Saturday morning I hear, "Light on, light on."  I thought she had just woken up and would fall back asleep.  I walked down the hall anyways just to see what was going on.  Sure enough when I get to her door, I can see light gleaming from underneath the door.  I opened the door and Amelia was just laying in bed like she had just woken up.  I brought her into my bed in hopes of her falling back asleep.  THAT DIDN'T HAPPEN! 

I have learned my lesson and every time I put her to bed now, I wait for her to get up and turn the lights on.  Then I turn them back off and I guess she's okay with that, because then she will stay in bed and fall asleep.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't been to your blog in awhile so this is going back a little for you, but that's so funny! You're a good mom - very patient.

    ReplyDelete